There is that one rule that helps me stay on track and not get discouraged if I have that cheat meal or a night with a few drinks. It is called 80/20. It is what we do 80% of the time with whatever we do that will make the most impact. The holidays are here and approaching. I am not an avid drinker of Alcohol. But, I do like my occasional weekend binge drinking, no just kidding, but I do enjoy having a few drinks at times on the weekends, especially around the holidays. I have a lot of people tell me they are surprised I would drink being as healthy as I am. I know what negative effects alcohol can have on your system. That is not what this article is about. This article is to help you be mindful of the calories and the balance of consuming alcohol. I am not perfect and I do not want to be. Being perfect is boring!!!!! When I see top athletes have a few drinks I am relieved hahah. I would say my number one go to is "The Rock " Dwayne Johnson drinking his Teremana Tequila!!! I'm like HELL YEA!!!!!!
When I was younger and I would go clubbing in Downtown Chicago, I realized then the havoc certain calories in drinks could have on your body. It is kind of a catch 22. I want to let loose, but I do not want to completely destroy my gains I worked hard for all week! So I would look up different drinks and read how the alcohol and the mixer that was mixed with the drink was processed within the body. Knowing that information gave me better choices to be at ease about what I was drinking.
I believe a lot of people think drinking slows the metabolism. This is not entirely true. What happens is that the body can not store alcohol so it is on a mission to get rid of it. While it is doing that, all other system are put on hold until the alcohol is out of our systems. WHAT can be stored in our body is the mixers we choose to put in our drinks...for instance two of my favorite drinks are Pina Coladas and Evan Williams Egg Nog! You better believe the creamy drinks rank high in calories!!!! One cup of Evan Williams Egg Nog is 343 calories. This is definitely a dilemma for me. What I did one day to try to cut some of the calories in the Evan Williams Egg Nog is diluting the drink with unsweetened almond milk, water and add a little more Bacardi. While we are on this subject, I really hate to be a ball buster, but when you look up calories, your first thought may be..."Oh! that's not too bad!" because when I look up calories in a Pina Colada it will say 55 calories. Not that bad of a deal! Well.....that Is for 1 OUNCE!!!!! The serving size is what gets us and that is almost with everything. You should always look at the serving size! I was a nutritional counselor at a doctor office years ago and one of the main things people were unaware of was the serving size. What they thought was the calories and numbers for the whole drink, was actually for 2 servings, doubling the calories, sugar and carbohydrates. Nobody is just drinking 1 ounce of anything haha. Back to my Pina Coladas, lets say at minimal you drink 4 ounces in a cup it can have as much as 220-378 calories for ONE Pina Colada! THAT adds up. SO, now that I have ruined your vacation drink..let us move on!
I am aware of the skinny drinks. There are "skinny" this "skinny" that. We can also modify regular drinks by ordering it or making it without the syrup or the obvious added sugars. Mojitos are a great drink to ask without the added sugar! We may be out somewhere where they do not have these easy options. Here are a list of alcohols that are lower in calories, contain little carbohydrates and no added sugars.
- Light Beer
- Red wine...Rich in antioxidants, lowers bad cholesterol, keeps heart healthy, regulates blood sugar, reduces risk of cancer, helps treat common cold, keeps memory sharp, keeps you slim.....(WAIT...WHAT???? " You would be glad to know that
resveratrol also helps keep a check on your weight. The chemical compound piceatannol converted from resveratrol reduces the fat cells in our body. According to the researchers, piceatannol fastens the insulin receptors of fat cells which blocks the pathways required for immature fat cells to grow."), reduces the risk of depression, and has positive effects on the digestive system.
The number one drink for us fitness fans and even has a couple health benefits is Tequila! Which explains the Rock's love for it without compromising that easy to look at physique of his. Now Tequila is not a Fresh Kale Juice, BUT I am pretty excited to have learned these benefits myself. Maybe we can get a little crazy and mix it with fresh kale!!!! NO?
- Tequila.....According to research by a Mexican scientist, the plant from which tequila is made-the blue weber agave plant-contains substances that enhance the absorption of calcium and magnesium in the body, both which are essential minerals for maintaining bone health.
- Tequila has 60 calories per shot compared to most that are 70-96 calories a shot, which pales in comparison to a glasses of white wine. "For guys, the booze you chose can have a big effect on your hormones. Ale and lagers create an environment where estrogen can thrive-the ultimate nightmare for guys looking to add muscle."
- Studies suggest "The agave plant contains high levels of inulin, which helps the digestive system by growing good bacteria."
- Tequila can actually help lower blood sugar! "Agavins are the sugars which occur naturally in the agave plant-they are non-digestible which means they act s a dietary fibre and also support growth of healthful microbes in the mouth and intestines."
- Tequila is known to help calm nerves! Sign me up!!!!! hahah I think we covered most of the straight liquors! Now, very few can just drink these plain! So we have to have something to mix it with! I went with Bacardi and Diet Coke for a long time. To be honest after awhile I did not like putting the artificial sweeteners in my system, so I dug a little deeper.
Low calorie mixers:
- Diet soda or diet tonics: 0 calories
- Lime or lemon juice (1/2 oz):10 calories
- Club soda: 0 calories
- Light Lemonade, usually crystal light (8 oz): 5 calories
- Light orange juice (8oz): 50 calories
- Orange juice (6oz):84 calories
- coffee, tea: 0 calories
- Light Cranberry juice (8oz): 40 calories
- Dilute your drink with sparkling water or club soda.
- Add natural flavors: lemon, lime, mint, cucmber ,berries.
Go enjoy your holidays, God knows we deserve it this year! Raise a glass and toast for the most Positive, Healthy and Happy New Year we can possibly have.That our country's moral somehow gets back to the spirits it was the morning after the Cubs won the world series! We need that kind of energy right about now! Let us go out and BE that positive energy! Salute!!!!
Always Thankful, Katie
"May your troubles be less and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door"
Feel free to subscribe and comment below!